FMO Conference 2023 Digest - Vol.2
We are 9 days away from the 2023 FMO Conference, here is your handy digest to help digest all of the information we are disseminating:
- Full Schedule Online
- Tickets available for the Ontario Folk Music Awards
- SOCAN Songwriting Masterclass with AHI
- RSVP for LIVE Listening Party and Interview with Sylvia Tyson
- Lil’ Folkers Daycare
- Caregivers Companion Pass
- FREE bus from Toronto to London for Conference Attendees: Save your seat!
- Spots Still Available for Lightning Talks!
- Delegate Contact Sheet
- Room Share & Ride Share
- Striving for a Paper-Free 2023!
We’re sending the digest to all of our registered conference delegates, and posting the digests to the website; so if you miss one, check in at: https://folkmusicontario.org/conference-faq.
See below for important event info, and stay tuned for future digests!
SCHEDULE IS NOW ONLINE!
The schedule is now available! Click here to view it now. panels, speakers, showcase timing, and more will be included soon!
ONTARIO FOLK MUSIC AWARDS: LIMITED TICKETS AVAILABLE!
The Ontario Folk Music Awards recognize and celebrate the outstanding work and contributions of Folk artists from across the province of Ontario! The awards will take place at the end of the conference, Sun, Oct 15, 2023 from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Aeolian Hall, London. With a Red Carpet Reception starting at 1:00PM. There is limited space at the hall, so if you would like to attend, click here to purchase your ticket and reserve your spot now!
SOCAN SONGWRITING MASTERCLASS W/ AHI
SOCAN is excited to once again present an interactive songwriting “Masterclass” workshop at the 2023 Folk Music Ontario Conference on the process of songwriting. This 60min session will take place on Sunday, October 15 at 11:00am, and is open to all conference registrants.
RSVP NOW: LIVE LISTENING PARTY & INTERVIEW W/ SYLVIA TYSON
Exciting news for conference attendees! Join us for a listening party and Celebrity Interview with Folk legend Sylvia Tyson, Saturday, October 14 at 3pm in Suite 300! Sylvia will be sharing and discussing her latest album, "At the End of the Day".
This event is free for all conference attendees, but SEATING IS LIMITED! Please click here to RSVP and save your spot!
LIL’ FOLKERS DAYCARE
Kids are always welcome at the FMO Conference, and this year we are renewing our commitment to making it easier for working parents by offering a free conference registration for childcare companions, and adding our brand new Lil’ Folkers Drop-in Daycare! This dedicated childcare drop-off space will be supervised by early childhood care professionals, providing a safe and musical environment for your little ones while you enjoy the conference activities.
The Lil' Folkers Daycare room is designed to cater to the needs of children of ages around 3 to 8 years old. Located on-site, this room will be open from 11am to 4pm on both Friday and Saturday of the conference. With licensed early childhood care professionals present, you can rest assured that your little one will be in capable hands while you attend showcases and panels.
While the Lil' Folkers Daycare room provides a safe and nurturing environment, it's important to note that no food or snacks will be provided. Therefore, it is recommended that you drop off your Lil' Folker already fed or with their own snacks and water. This way, they can enjoy their favorite treats and stay hydrated throughout their time in the daycare room.
CAREGIVERS COMPANION PASS
Parents and caregivers are also welcome to register a care companion for the event free of charge. Should you wish to take advantage of this offer, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
RIDE FOR FREE: GET A SEAT ON THE FOLK BUS!
Looking for FREE transportation from Toronto to London for the Folk Music Ontario conference? Join us on The Folk Bus! Beep! Beep!
The Folk Bus is departing from Toronto’s Union Station at 11:00AM EDT on Thursday, October 12, 2023. It’s free, and all you have to do is fill out this form with your name to save your seat.
We've got you covered for the return trip as well! The bus will depart from the DoubleTree Hotel in London on October 15th at 5pm EDT, and drop you off at Union Station in Toronto.
This initiative is supported by Tourism London and Music Declares Emergency Canada as an eco-conscious option to reduce the number of cars heading on the highway while increasing the number of folks heading to London! Don't miss out on this convenient and comfortable transportation option. Book your spot now!
LIGHTNING TALKS: SPOTS STILL AVAILABLE!
All registrants have now been sent an invite to sign up for Lightning Talks! These One-on-one meetings with industry professionals will take place via Zoom next week, October 2-5.
- IMPORTANT: You can book a maximum of FIVE meetings. If you book more than that, FMO will remove the extra meetings of our choosing.
- Click here to View the Lightning Talks contact Sheet. This sheet lists the experts, and their availability.
- Click here to visit the Scheduling document. Using the tabs at the bottom, find the date and time of the expert you’d like to speak to. Spots are first come, first served!
- Write your name and email into the time you’d like to book.
- The Zoom link for each day will be at the top of the scheduling sheet, and will be sent via email each morning of the week of October 2-5.
- Contact information for all participants and experts will be available in the contact sheet. Be sure to check out this information beforehand to prepare for your conversations.
- IMPORTANT: this document is to be used by everyone. DO NOT Delete others’ bookings, and DO NOT edit the document in any way other than to enter your own information.
- IMPORTANT: Do NOT share the contact info sheet with anyone! It is for those participating in the conference and lightning talks only. You can use these contacts for follow-ups or personal outreach, but please, do not add these contacts to your mailing list.
PITCH CRAFT PODCAST
Looking for some tips on what goes on in Lightning Talks? How to pitch your music/artists? Listen to episode 18 of the ReFolkUs Podcast, Pitch Craft w/ Val Denn! Valerie explains how folks can best represent themselves in these meetings, what materials to bring, how to be memorable and stand out from the crowd, and guides listeners through some do’s and don'ts.
HOTELS AND ROOM SHARE / RIDE SHARE
Hotel rooms at the conference site (Double Tree by Hilton) are sold out, and special deals at other hotels have been scooped up as well! It’s turning out to be a busy week in London, so if you have not booked your accommodations, do so quickly!
- Click here to view hotel options in London with availability during the conference dates.
- FMO has arranged for a shuttle service from hotels that are farther away from the Doubletree. There are also free bus passes available for registrants. If you would like to take advantage, please inquire at the info or registration desk when you arrive at the conference site.
- The FMO online portal has a message board (workspaces) for discussion on Ride sharing and Room sharing for the conference! Click here to view these workspaces now. If you cannot access the spaces, just let us know at email@example.com and we’ll let you in.
Once again, we are going POSTER-FREE and as paperless as possible for the FMO Conference. If you put up posters, we will frown as we take them down.
If you want to get the word out about you or your showcase, here are some options:
Advertise at Folk Music Ontario 2023 and get your message in front of a tuned-in, community-engaged audience! There are a few opportunities available, including:
- Digital Program Guide Ads - Many sizes available
- Rotating Sponsor Screen Ads - On display in networking areas of the conference
- Booth/Tables - Set up in the networking areas of the conference
Click here for more information and to book your ad now!
More information on the conference is coming! We can’t wait to see you all in London.